Sunday, October 13, 2013

TEAM DEVELOPMENT - ADJOURNING PHASE

           I had an opportunity to work with a group of professionals on a project that involved working with children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.  Since I have a son with Autism, I was especially interested in working with this support group and preparing different educational and research studies about the difficulties families face when they have a child with this disorder.  I was also a part of a study group with colleagues while in college working on my first Master’s Degree.  I think that of all the groups I have been involved with, these are the two that were the hardest to adjourn from.  When developing a team of individuals, with common goals, outlooks and visions, it makes it easy to secure that commitment to work together to obtain a desired outcome or goal.  It was easy to work with the group and families of children with ASD because we all had similar experience, some more intense and overwhelming than others, but regarding of the enormity of the situation, they all have an impact on the family and this is what drew us all together.  

           The group that was formed with my colleagues from school became a bond because we each were trying to achieve the same goal, successfully completing the program.  We began the process together as a group of 30 and after the first semester, we became 17 and we each work together, studied together, commiserated together, and celebrated together at graduation.  It was because of this bond that even after we each went our separate ways, we continued to keep in touch.  O’Hair & Wiemann (2012) noted that team members may opt to maintain friendships even if they will no longer be working together.  Abudi (2011) found that it is likely that any group that reached Stage 4: Performing will keep in touch with each other as they have become very close knit group and there will be sadness at separating and moving to other projects independently.  This was the case with both of these groups with which I became closely involved.

            The groups of colleagues in which I have been working with in this Master’s Program have given me insight into their lives some personal and all professionally that has allowed me to get to know them.  Some, whom I began the program with, last year, have given me essential feedback and encouragement that has meant more to me than they realize.  I feel that I have made so lasting professional and a few personal friends that share a vision of creating a more caring, socially conscious and professional group of educator to ensure that our children and families attain personal and academic success.  I look forward to the adjourning of our group because by then we will have seen our vision come to a successful end in one instance and a beginning in another.
References
Abudi, G. (2010). The five stages of team development: A case study. Retrieved from
http://www.projectsmart.co.uk/the-five-stages-of-team-development-a-case-study.html
O'Hair, D., & Wiemann, M. (2012). Real communication: An introduction. New York:
            Bedford/St. Martin's.


No comments:

Post a Comment