Sunday, September 29, 2013

Communication Skills

What is the one thing that surprised me the most? Why?

The one thing that surprised me the most about this week’s assignment is how each of the people that I had to take the test found that my communication skills were so very similar to the same results I generated from the test.  There was less than a 5 points difference in each of the areas and in one of the areas, Verbal Aggressiveness, all of the scores were the same and that really was surprising.  I realize that if I was younger, the scores would have a greater variance than it does today because of maturity and knowledge gained over the years. 

What other insights about communication did I gain this week?

I realized that even if I don’t interact the same with my colleagues as I do with my family, it’s refreshing to know that they see a lot of the same traits in me as far as communication skills. I am glad that I exhibit many of the same communication skills with my family as I do with colleagues and co-workers.  The colleague that took the test is someone that I interact with on a professional level, but not on a daily basis.  When taking the test, I knew that he was aware of my work ethics on the job and when I am presenting at training and it is great to know that I am able to communicate well with others. 

How might 2 of these insights inform my professional work and personal life?


These three tests allowed me to see whether or not others felt that I communicated with them the same way as I felt that I communicated with them.  I know that I try to listen as well as I communicate, but if others don’t feel that about you, then it lets me know that I need to work on my communication and listening skills.  The test did not reveal any significant areas that I wasn’t already aware of, but I know that there is always room for improvement and I will continue to work on those areas.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Eliza,

    It’s great when your family thinks of you as you think of yourself but it is even more rewarding when colleagues recognize this because they may not know you own a personal level. I also got the same response from a family member and a colleague. It makes you feel good when your response to anyone you communicate with is a positive one. Keep up the good work. As a colleague of mine, looking at just your picture(smile), I believe you are a great person and in the right profession teaching children.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen, I also think of you in the same way. The pic on your blog is what I consider a nurturing, caring and loving person and those are the characteristics that make such a great teacher. I know your children love you, I can see it in your smile. :-)

      Delete
  2. Eliza,
    Listening is the key to communication. Sometime people hear you, but they do not listen. I enjoyed taking the test because it helped me to look at my own perceptions and the perception of others. Great Posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, it is very important to be a good listener, but better to be a great communicator. It shows from your blog that you have mastered the art of each, with room to grow as the days keep rising and shinning. Liz, I wonder if the results would have been different, had the person taking the test not been somebody whom worked with you and knew your work habit and communication skills?

    ReplyDelete