Saturday, August 17, 2013

Welcoming Families From Around the World

        The name of my family’s country of origin is Iran. This is a country that has so many different cultures, languages, ethnicities, traditions and religious practices, it is important to determine each of these when trying to culturally responsive to the family.

Five ways in which I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family is to do the following:

  • 1.      Do research on the culture, traditions and beliefs of the Iranian culture after finding out which region or culture my family is from and what language they speak.  The country is multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and speaks several languages.  I would also find out if the family speaks English and if not, I would locate an interpreter before meeting with the family.  If they do, I would ask about the home language and try to learn some key words or phrases.


  • 2.      I would also find out about religious practices and holiday celebrations.  I would determine their eating habits, customs and about their home life and about their child rearing practices.  I also want to know if there are other siblings or relatives in the area who would be of help with the transition process.


  • 3.      I would provide information to staff and administrators about the family and their beliefs, customs and traditions as well as any other important facts that will assist them in being prepared for the family.


  • 4.      I would invite the parents in to discuss their goals and wishes for their child’s education and find out if they are willing to be involved by volunteering in the classroom.  I would invite them to come in and meet with the staff and children to talk about their culture and traditions and provide some activities to help them to understand more about their culture.  I would also determine if they have any needs or problems and provide resource information to help meet those needs.


  • 5.      I would ensure that there are some diversity materials in the classroom that displays ethnicity, cultural and traditions of Iranians and invite the children to ask questions and present activities to enable them to learn more about the Iranian culture. 



I hope that by incorporating these procedures it will enable the family to have a smooth transition into school and we, the staff and administration, will be prepared to provide services to the family.  I am hoping that if there is any information that we have omitted to cover, the family will feel comfortable in discussing those needs and providing details that will enable us to ensure that they and their child will have a positive and successful experience. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Eliza,

    Because, we are learning about culture and how important it is to most individuals, this helps us be able to make a different culture feel welcomed. Learning how to speak some of the language is a valuable tool to implement. Religion and holidays are very import to our culture so; this will give them the perspective of being home. I believe education is on the front burner for all families regardless of the origin. In helping a parent see that the educational system we have in place for their children will be an important way of showing you care. These ideas you would implement are just what all individuals coming from a different area would need.

    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hay Liz,

    You have mentioned very similar responses that I did also. One think that I didn't realize and forgot to acknowledge, was during my informational session with the parents and discussing the child's habits and such; what goals do they have for their child? I would also ask how important is their child's development and how important is it for their child to play and interact with other children. That way I can have an understanding if these are parents who want their child to be self sufficient, asking questions when they come, and to have his curiosity peeked.

    Sherrell

    ReplyDelete