Saturday, May 18, 2013

PERSONAL RESEARCH JOURNEY


PERSONAL RESEARCH JOURNEY

            When considering my topic for my simulation, I chose to look at, “How classroom diversity affects preschool children’s interaction with each other based on adult influences”.  I am curious as to how children of differing backgrounds, cultures and abilities interact based on attitudes of teachers and peers within the classroom.  In order to narrow the topic to one that would be more specific, I looked at the following subtopics:  1) how increased classroom diversity effects teacher/child interaction; 2)  how increased classroom diversity promotes optimal learning within the classroom; and 3) how classroom diversity increases positive peer relationships. 

            I have had the opportunity to witness the attitudes of teachers in classrooms of children with differing levels of learning abilities, from different socio-economic backgrounds and from different cultures.  Their attitudes have a direct effect on how other children and parents within the classroom treat each other.  The classrooms which do not address diversity can influence how well children learn, how they feel about themselves and the relationship between them and their peers.  There has been such an increase in families of different cultural, racial, and socio-economic backgrounds within our classrooms, but there has been little increase in the way which we address these differences as teachers, parents, and a community.  When constructing my research chart, I attempted to narrow my subtopics to areas that I felt would address the overall topic for research that interest me.

            I think overall, that this is a very good topic, but when I looked at specific areas in which to identify as supporting subtopics, I came up with quite a few.  I tried to narrow the topic and subtopics for my research simulation so that I could concentrate on specific areas related to the overall topic.  If any of my colleagues can assist me with these, I welcome your comments and resources.   

No comments:

Post a Comment