Saturday, September 29, 2012

Words of Inspiration and Motivation


Inspiring Quotes and/or Words of Motivation
President Lyndon B. Johnson – May 1965 – Remarks on Project Head Start
“Five and six year old children are inheritors of poverty’s curse and not its creators.  Unless we act these children will pass it on to the next generation, like a family birthmark.”

Edward Ziegler - 2007– Giving Intervention a Head Start:  A conversation with Edward Zigler

So I have a built-in empathy for poor children, as well as a deep belief, based on my own life, that just because you’re poor that doesn’t mean you’re inadequate.  We all know how devastating poverty is, but if we help children, they can overcome poverty and more upward and onward.”


Louise Derman-Sparks, Profession Emeritus – Pacific Oaks College, CA- Passion for social justice:

I had a built in passion that it was important to make a real contribution to the world and to fix all the injustices that existed in the world and I wanted to do that through teaching.”

“I had the passion to make sure all children were taught in environments and in ways that truly nurtured their ability to grow and to develop to their fullest ability.”
 

Raymond Hernandez, MS Ed – University of Southern California – School of Early Childhood Education
 
“Passion comes from making a difference.”

“I’m not here to save the world; I’m here just to make a difference in the community where I’m working.”

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I listen to NPR often, and our local NPR station has been doing a project called "State of Opportunity" - documenting Michigan's economy and asking the question "Can kids in Michigan get ahead?"

    http://stateofopportunity.michiganradio.org/

    The quote you posted by Lyndon B. Johnson reminded me of this project, because it is very hard for children living in poverty to break the cycle and get out of poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading all of your quotes; Raymond Hernandez's stuck out the most to me.

    “Passion comes from making a difference.”

    “I’m not here to save the world; I’m here just to make a difference in the community where I’m working"

    I can relate to both of these quotes, because when I'm asked why did I select the field that I'm in, I always make it clear I didn't choose this field, this field chose me. I love making a difference, and I love helping out when needed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quotes you chose was wonderful. I really enjoyed reading them. The quote about "Passion comes from making a difference is so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it so ironic that even in 1965 President Johnson saw into the future of our country. I appreciate you sharing this quote. He is correct in that children have inherited the poverty of the world, although they did not create it. Something to remember as we ECE people go out there to try and make a difference.

    ReplyDelete